Sterling silver is the most popular jewelry of everyone in the fashion industry. The classic silvery charm of the metal is the most appealing and not to forget the fact that it is a fashion statement. The lavish designs have remade this precious metal and have made wholesale sterling silver jewelry so attractive. No doubt cost is something that has added value to its popularity.
If you are looking to buy accessories, there is a wide variety of sterling silver earrings, sterling silver bracelets, sterling silver rings, and wholesale sterling silver necklaces available out there. But before you jump in on the sterling silver rush, here are some must-know facts about sterling silver.
How is sterling silver jewelry finished
Often jewelry is coated with a thin layer of .999 pure silver which is known as flashing. This gives the metal piece a shimmering finish. Most of the jewelers apply a coating of nickel or copper on the jewelry piece before applying the plating of .999 silver. Some silver jewelry pieces are rhodium plated that also gives a bright and shining finish. Flashing or coating of silver jewelry will help to reduce discoloration or irritation for people who have sensitive skin.
Important facts to know about sterling silver
Let’s get started!
- Sterling silver is more sturdy than pure silver: Just like gold, pure silver is a very soft metal so it is not suitable for jewelry making as it gets damaged, scratches, and dents very easily. It is best for display decor but not any item that you use daily. As sterling silver is made up of 7.5% of other metals, it is much stronger than pure silver and is practical for jewelry manufacturing.
Adding copper and other metals to sterling silver make it harder and more durable than pure silver.
- Sterling silver gets easily tarnished: Because sterling silver has an alloy content so this makes it easier to become tarnished. Copper is the main reason for tarnishing as it comes in contact with oxygen. With time, tarnishing can seriously damage your sterling silver jewelry. So we advise you to clean your sterling silver jewelry with a silver cleaning solution that is not abrasive and keep your sterling silver jewelry looking new.
To keep your jewelry pieces looking the best, you have to clean your sterling silver jewelry regularly.
- Storage plays a vital role: As important as regularly cleaning, there are many ways to avoid tarnishing. The worst culprit of tarnishing is high humidity. So you are advised to store your sterling silver jewelry pieces in individual compartment boxes, display cases, cloth pouch, or in another enclosed place. This will help in absorbing the humidity in the case and keep the oxygen away which will protect your jewelry. Never store your sterling silver jewelry in uncoated wooden boxes as this will definitely cause it to lose its shine and color.
Consider keeping your sterling silver jewelry boxes inside an interior closet which should be dark and cool.
- Some chemicals and minerals are dangerous to sterling silver: It is challenging to keep sterling silver safe from oxygen and moisture, so there are other precautions you can take.
Chlorine and bleach are some of the most harmful chemicals for sterling silver. So never wear your sterling silver earrings, necklaces, chains, rings, and other jewelry while you go swimming or while using bleach. Remember to take off your jewelry pieces as salt also corrodes sterling silver.
Hair spray and perfumes are also dangerous for sterling silver jewelry. So when you are getting ready try to first apply the perfume and hairspray.
- Variety of designs to win hearts: The variety of jewelry designs you get in sterling silver is abundant. The wide range of designs exhibited at various online and physical stores selling at wholesale prices will make you wonder more about the creativity of designers. The design of every piece is different and unique from each other. So for the lovers of sterling silver jewelry, this is one of the most advantageous things that they have a vast array of options and do not have to wear the same designs every time.
Moreover, sterling silver jewelry is very affordable so you can introduce new designs to your wardrobe every now and then.
- Sterling silver has assayer’s symbols: Have you ever noticed some marks on your sterling silver jewelry pieces other than 92.5 stamps? They are mostly called assayer’s marks. These marks tell you the creation of your sterling silver jewelry. You will find a symbol of an animal or another mark that will signify that in which country it was made.
92.5 marking tells you about the authenticity of silver. As sterling silver is made up 92.5% of silver, so it has the marking of 925. This means that the piece contains 7.5% of alloy and 92.5% of pure silver.
- Compliment with other colorful stones: Cubic zirconia is the most popular simulated diamond. It is very cheap even with naked eyes you can not differentiate between the real one and the simulation. The popular colors in CZ are yellow, red, blue, pink, black, and green. Sterling silver is the best metal to match with colorful Cz stones if you want a wealthy look at affordable prices. As sterling silver is a white metal so it complements the CZ stones very well.
The jewelry worn by you should be an extension of your personality, style, and who you are. So put on the pieces that you love the most and wear them with confidence.
Now that we have shared all the facts about sterling silver jewelry with you. The facts shared above will help you to keep your sterling silver jewelry tip-top for a lifetime.
To find your new favorite piece of sterling silver jewelry, you can shop our latest collection of wholesale sterling silver necklaces, sterling silver earrings, and sterling silver bracelets today!