Sterling silver is perhaps the most sought-after and popular silver alloy for jewelry globally – and for good reason. If you are considering adding spice and sparkle to your jewelry collection, here’s your complete guide to why choosing sterling silver jewelry is a good idea.
This quick guide will help you answer the following questions:
- What is sterling silver?
- Why is sterling silver jewelry so popular?
- What are the advantages of buying sterling silver jewelry?
- How to take care of sterling silver jewelry?
- What types of sterling silver jewelry are available to choose from?
- Where to buy high-quality sterling silver jewelry?
About Sterling Silver
Widely used for making various types of jewelry items and accessories, sterling silver is also referred to as .925 silver because it consists of 92.5 percent pure silver (and the rest is made up of metals like copper).
This 92.5-7.5 ratio of metals gives the jewelry extra strength and luster without affecting its gorgeous white-grey appearance.
Since silver is a very soft metal, it is prone to losing shape and getting scratched easily. While it looks elegant and rich, it might not be the ideal material for items that are used frequently – jewelry, for instance. A silver alloy, like sterling silver, offers the benefits of fine silver in terms of appearance and also serves as a better alternative in terms of strength and durability.
Jewelry manufacturers often use a process called flashing, which involves plating the jewelry pieces with a layer of .999 fine silver, giving the jewelry a glossy finish. Some jewelry makers prefer plating the material with rhodium, nickel, or copper before flashing it with fine silver. One of the major advantages of doing this is that it prevents skin irritation and jewelry discoloration.
Genuine sterling silver always has a hallmark. There are various versions of the sterling silver hallmark, including a .925 stamp on the jewelry. You might see variants of this stamp, like STER, STERLING, STG or Sterling Silver on some jewelry pieces.
Top 5 Reasons Why Sterling Silver Jewelry is So Popular
If you are wondering why sterling silver jewelry is such a hot favorite in the jewelry circles around the world, here are just a few reasons to get you started:
Sterling silver jewelry is relatively inexpensive, making it ideal for people who wish to use it on a frequent basis.
At P&K Jewelry, one of the primary reasons why we love sterling silver jewelry is that you don’t have to worry about maintaining it. Even without a regular cleaning and polishing regime, your sterling silver jewelry retains its sheen and beauty.
Sterling silver jewelry can be mixed and matched with a variety of other metals, including gold and platinum, giving you the option to experiment with your look.
The massive variety of jewelry designs available in the market (retail and wholesale) makes it a good headache for the buyer! You can find a vast array of makes, shapes, and designs that are unique and fashionable.
Sterling silver jewelry pieces don’t cause allergies or irritation to your skin. Nickel is one of the most common causes of metal allergies, and that is very rarely used in sterling silver alloys.
Caring for Your Sterling Silver Jewelry
Like any other type of jewelry, accessories made from sterling silver are prone to tarnishing. The best way to maintain the sparkle and dazzle of your jewelry is by following these steps:
- Remove your sterling silver jewelry while taking a shower or going for a swim
- Avoid exposing your jewelry to chemicals like chlorine, cosmetic items, and perfumes
- Clean your sterling silver jewelry by using warm, soapy water and a microfiber cloth
- Make sure your jewelry is completely dry after you clean it (use a soft cloth)
- Store your jewelry in sealed polyethylene bags or airtight containers to shield it from moisture
- Visit your nearby jewelry store or seller to get your sterling silver jewelry polished once every year.
Things to Consider When Buying Sterling Silver Jewelry
Here is a checklist that you can refer to when shopping for quality sterling silver jewelry (whether you buy it online or at a physical store):
- Always buy your jewelry from a reputable store: Check customer reviews, customer service, variety of options, and experience in the jewelry market.
- Check the hallmark: In case you can’t find the hallmark on a jewelry item, make sure you ask the seller about its quality assurance.
- Inquire about the after-sales policies: Does your seller take responsibility for the after-sales service? Do they have a convenient return policy? What about warranty and maintenance terms?
Founded in 1995, P&K Jewelry is one of the world’s largest sources for sterling silver jewelry. Seeking inspiration from colors, technologies, and trends, we offer a classy selection of various types of jewelry pieces and accessories. With a high level of personalized customer service and an undying commitment to quality, we are the one-stop shop for silver jewelry (wholesale). We import from all over the globe, including countries like India, Mexico, Bali, Thailand, China, and Italy.
At P&K Jewelry, we offer only the highest quality of sterling silver jewelry, including a wide collection of:
- Sterling Silver Bracelets for Women
- Sterling Silver Bangles (Wholesale)
- Sterling Silver Earrings for Women
- Sterling Silver Necklaces for Women
- Sterling Silver Rings (Men and Women)