For several decades now, diamonds have been the go-to stone for wedding bands and engagement rings for couples. The “value” of the stone, coupled with the way it has been marketed over the years as a scarce commodity, has led to its popularity.
However, this phenomenal success of the stone and its widespread fame doesn’t sit well with most young people primarily because of the heavy price tag attached to them. On that note, here’s presenting a fantastic alternative to diamonds – cubic zirconia.
With a lustre and shine that is similar to traditional diamonds, cubic zirconia ring sets have become a great option for couples who are on the lookout for affordable rings. Reasonably priced and with smoother and rounder cut edges, cubic zirconia or CZ (as it is popularly referred to) is an alluring stone that works equally well on rings, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, pendants, and bangles.
What is Cubic Zirconia?
A stone that has been in vogue since the 1970s, cubic zirconia is manufactured in a controlled environment using zirconium oxide and other minerals. It is the crystallographic isometric form of zirconium oxide. CZ looks very similar to a diamond and is considered as a popular alternative to diamonds.
The key properties of cubic zirconia are as follows:
- Hardness according to the Mohs scale: 8.5
- Density: 5.50-5.90
- Specific gravity: 5.50-6.00
- Refractive index: 2.088-2.176
- Dispersion rating: 0.058-0.066
Top Benefits of Cubic Zirconia
Here’s looking at some advantages of cubic zirconia that make it a better bet than diamonds:
- Contrary to a diamond, a CZ is always flawless. There are no blemishes that you might see on most natural gemstones.
- Cubic zirconia costs way lesser than diamonds, thus making it an affordable choice for ring sets.
- The low-value high-allure of CZ makes it the ideal travel companion. You don’t have to worry about its safety or security like you would with diamonds or other precious stones.
- CZ can be produced in a colorless form, whereas pure white diamonds are extremely rare to come by.
- You have a variety of options when it comes to stone colors, including green CZ, yellow CZ, blue CZ, red CZ, pink CZ, and even orange CZ.
The 5Cs of CZ
The higher dispersion quality of CZ makes it sparkle more than a diamond, but since its refractive index is lower, the brilliance of the stone is comparatively lesser. Neither its flawlessness nor its brilliance can be gauged by the naked eye, but there are certain parameters based on which you can assess the quality of cubic zirconia.
CZ is known for its flawless properties. The clarity is generally very high compared to other gemstones.
CZ is usually totally colorless. In terms of color options, you are likely to find pink, red, yellow, green, blue, and purple at most jewelers.
CZ is denser and thus heavier than a diamond. While it is measured in carats, CZ prices aren’t influenced massively with the carat weight.
Just like a diamond, cubic zirconia can also be cut into a huge variety of shapes and sizes. The most sought-after cuts include brilliant round, princess cut, pear, and heart.
In terms of grade, quality, or category, CZ stones are available in A, AAA, and AAAAA. 5A is considered the highest quality of CZ that is hand-cut and polished.
10 Things to Know About CZ Before Buying a Ring Set
Whether you intend to buy a cubic zirconia ring set or any CZ jewelry in wholesale, here are a few things you should be aware of:
- Cubic zirconia can absorb natural oils and get damaged or cloudy over a some time, so the proper upkeep of CZ jewelry is essential.
- While shopping CZ rings, make sure that the setting is optimal and that the stones aren’t unstable or wobbly.
- Always opt for smaller cubic zirconia stones rather than bigger ones. The smaller ones look richer and more sparkly than the bigger ones.
- In terms of metals, sterling silver and stainless steel are the most preferred choices since they not only look great but are also very durable.
- To avoid exposure to harmful chemicals, remove the rings before showering, swimming, or washing dishes.
- Make sure that the stone is never exposed to bleach or chlorinated water.
- It is recommended that you remove the ring before using any cosmetic products, since the chemicals present in them can potentially damage the CZ stone.
- Get your ring sets cleaned and polished by a professional jeweler at least twice a year. This will ensure that your rings retain their natural glimmer and shine.
Where to Buy Cubic Zirconia Ring Sets?
Most modern jewelers offer CZ jewelry options, so you can walk into your local store and check out the variety. However, if you are looking for wholesale cubic zirconia ring sets, P&K Jewelry is the preferred partner for leading retailers in the United States. We offer a wide selection of bedazzling and trendy cubic zirconia jewelry for every occasion, including bangles, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, pendants, and ring sets. Explore our CZ ring sets now!