Silver is a precious metal and is valued for various reasons. It has become a favorite metal for jewelry because of its affordability, easy pliability and exquisite color. It has become the new gold.
In the market variation, gold prices have increased, so people have shifted to buy silver jewelry. It’s a stable investment that goes well with every fashion essence. Silver jewelry is beautiful, feminine and classy; this is what makes it so alluring.
So if you are looking for wholesale silver jewelry, there are few basics you should know that will guide you into buying a lovely and enduring item. This complete guide will answer all your questions about this versatile metal. Keep reading to learn more.
What kind of silver should I buy?
Silver has many varieties. But the most commonly known and used are sterling silver, pure silver and silver plate.
Sterling silver: It is composed of 92.5% of silver and 7.5% of copper or nickel. This composition of metals brings strength and extra lustre to the silver without affecting its gorgeous white grey appearance.
Wondering how to identify sterling silver?
Genuine sterling silver must have a hallmark. There are various versions of sterling silver hallmark. You may check .925 stamped on the silver jewelry. Also, you can see the words STER, STERLING, STG or Sterling Silver.
Sterling silver is a durable metal and will last through the ages, so you need not worry. If damage occurs or any surface scratches, it can be easily polished back to its original shine. Sterling silver jewelry is easy to maintain as resizing and repairs are very reasonably priced.
Fine silver: Fine silver is 99.9% silver and is closest to pure silver. It is identified by the hallmark .999. Rest 1% is made up of trace elements which do not have significant quantity.
You may see that purer silver is better, but in reality, it is very soft to be used in jewelry. It gets damaged easily and is malleable. Fine silver loses its shape over time. It is suitable for jewelry items like earrings and pendants rather than things which are exposed to rough wear.
Silver plate: Familiar with the gold plate? If yes then you can see that silver plate is the same thing. A thin layer of silver is coated over another base metal, mostly copper. So you can now well imagine that silver plate has much less silver as compared to fine silver and sterling silver.
Over time the plating can discolor and flake off, so it is not valuable than other forms of metals.
Take a note on silver hallmarks: Hallmark is a tiny microscopic stamp which is found on some part of silver. To check this, you will have to look appropriately with a microscope to see it. This way is the fastest way to check if your silver is the real one.
If you found any area of your jewelry on which there is no stamp, the piece may be stamped so it may be of valuable silver.
Sterling silver valuable?
It is much more affordable than its precious metal counterparts like platinum, gold and palladium. This is so because silver is more mined in it than other precious metals.
Sterling silver is perfect for every budget and every jewelry lover. It is one of the most beautiful metals with exceptional lustre and color.
Tips on silver care!
As we all know that silver can tarnish. So once you have purchased the piece you love, make sure you have a good silver jewelry cleaner to keep it looking beautiful.
You can also store them in a small anti-tarnish bag so that you can make your purchase to last longer.
Is sterling silver jewelry hypoallergenic?
Sterling silver jewelry pieces do not cause allergies or irritate your skin. Nickel is one of the most common causes of metal allergies, and that is very rarely used in sterling silver alloys.
The most commonly used metals, like copper and zinc, are generally safe.
Are you shopping for silver jewelry?
There are many important factors to consider when you buy your sterling silver jewelry to ensure you don’t get ripped off. Check these quick things before you purchase:
- Buy from a reputable store: You must check reviews of previous customers. Ensure if the store truly values its visitors. Before your purchase communicate well with them and ask questions.
- Check the hallmark: If you cannot find the hallmark, you must ask the seller. Sometimes the item is too small to have a hallmark.
- Question about the metals in the alloy. If you have sensitive skin and is allergic to metals, remember that silver can contain nickel metal.
- Ensure the after-sales policies. Whether the seller takes responsibility for the sale? Do they have return policies, warranty or free maintenance?
How to buy the perfect silver jewelry for any occasion.
Knowing how to look for genuine stainless steel jewelry is just the first step in discovering beautiful silver pieces. Here’s a helpful process to ensure that your purchase is gorgeous, classy and feminine- just like you!
- Budget: Stainless steel jewelry is more affordable than any other metals. Check our budget that you can afford upfront and begin your hunt with an appropriate target in mind. This will save your time by helping you avoid the jewelry that is out of your budget.
- Use: Decide what you are expecting from our jewelry. This will go a long way in helping you to make the right purchasing decision. If you are looking for the classy silver piece for the special occasion, you’ll likely want to buy fine silver jewelry. And if you want to wear your jewelry for those nights on the town as well as around the workplace, you can then search on for stainless steel jewelry.
- Personality: When you are looking for silver jewelry, consider its unique ability to match and blend well with other precious metals and colors a woman typically wears. Stainless steel jewelry combines well with platinum metals and white gold jewelry.
Sterling silver is a versatile and fantastic metal for any jewelry. At P&K, we understand the powerful beauty of stainless silver jewelry, and we’re sure to help you out to find the piece that best expresses your unique style and personality.
We make buying stainless silver wholesale easy for you! P&K is your go-to wholesale silver jewelry supplier.
Shop our online collection of silver jewelry and discover the sparkling beauty of our stainless silver first hand.